Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Smocking 101.

My long time pal Katy agreed to teach me how to smock--she is a great teacher and I mean it when I say she has the patience of Job, because I am a slow learner and might have issues with comprehension! I think I have asked her a million times "is this right?", "how do you do the knot again?", "how have I messed it up this time?", etc. Her hubs, Chris, plays here on the island (he is a musician) and this past Saturday evening Katy came with him and hung out with me while he did his show. I started my first outfit for Anderson after practicing stitches on a practice pleat so I was SO glad to have her here for support!



The first smocking project!



I am starting with a VERY easy geometric design. I hope to graduate to picture smocking!

The orange lines are the guidelines. You pull them out after you are done.

I have worked some more on it since I took these pictures and I am now about 1/3 of the way done! I am excited for the finished product!!

post signature

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Looks great! Very impressed for your very first project!

Amy Jones said...

Ok, can you teach me? I have always wanted to learn!