Friday, April 17, 2009

Papa Love.

Friends and family gathered the past couple of days to celebrate the life of Papa Love and pay respects to such a great man. Wednesday afternoon, I drove up to Charleston for the visitation and so many came out to express condolences and perhaps even tell a story or two about how Papa had touched their heart. I drove back to the island that night and the next morning (early!) myself, Brad, and Anderson packed in the car and drove back up to Charleston for his funeral. It was a fantastic service and Pastor Al did more than we would have ever expected. It made a difference to have a pastor who knew papa on such a close personal level to lead the service. It was very evident that they had personal relationship and shared many memories. Randy, who worked for meme and papa at the Exxon station downtown for 14 years, made some remarks about papa during the service. He shared stories of generosity, compassion, and love he had for so many. I remembered many of those stories and could hold my head up proud. After the service, we made the drive down highway 17 to the National Cemetery in Beaufort where papa is buried and will rest (along with my Papa Trimmier who passed away in 2002). The military service is so powerful and when the bugle plays... it is hard to keep it together. After the graveside service, we had a small luncheon at my parent's house organized my some of my parent's friends. Papa will be missed, but there is great comfort knowing that he is with his Father in Heaven.

I am so thankful for all of the love and support from everyone---it really does help!

post signature

1 comment:

Jodie said...

I am so sorry for the loss of such a sweet man. You are lucky to have had two WONDERFUL grandfathers.