Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Roast on the May River!

Over the weekend we went to our first oyster roast of the year! Brad and I LOVE oysters and have not been able to go to a roast this season for one reason or another. That all changed on Saturday night when we went to the Bluffton Rotary Club oyster roast held at the Old Oyster Factory on the May River. We were invited and generously given tickets to the event by the some of the nicest people we know--Darla and Walter Nester. If you ever need a good lawyer, look Walter up! The weather was ify from the start. We knew this earlier in the day as we attempted to go to the Snow Day at Shelter Cove and the minute we parked it started to rain. We should have gone earlier with our friends Lauren and David!! Nonetheless, the rain did hold off until Brad and I were stuffed with oysters! This was of course Anderson's first roast--he so much enjoys being social and was an angel the entire time. Flirting, talking, and laughing at anyone who would pay him attention. Now, usually I shuck my own oysters--as my daddy believed that all true lowcountry girls should be proficient in---but this time Brad shucked them for me since I had Anderson in the Bjorn. Shucking my own would have been quite the safety hazard. I have to admit that it was nice to enjoy the prize without any of the work!



Brad & Anderson with Elizabeth (Brad's boss lady) and Daniel (Anderson's buddy--Walter and Darla's little boy!




Anderson and Brad. I had a much better shot of the two of them, but Anderson's eyes were closed. I had my small digital camera w/me. If I would have had my D40, I would have caught the shot for certain! It is hard to switch back and forth--that D40 is FAST! We had such a fun time at the roast and I hope that we can make it to at least one more before the season ends!

On a more serious note, we were woken this morning by a phone call from Brad's mom. It was the type of phone call that was so early that you know it is not going to be a good one. She called to let us know that Brad's grandmother is in the hospital and not doing well at all. She has been sick since about Thanksgiving time and her physicians could never give a real reason. It has been a snowball effect and her poor body is just shutting down. Her doctor told Brad's grandfather this morning that she does not have much more time. Please keep her and Brad's grandfather in your prayers.

post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jennifer, those are great updates! I am so proud of Anderson for already eating solid food...you go boy! And I am right impress with you making your own food, I would never expect anything less! :) On another note, I am very sorry to hear about Brad's grandmother, but please know that Patrick and I have her as well as your family in our thoughts and prayers. Love,Jenn

MatersandMelons said...

Oh gosh, Jennifer! I will definitely add Brad's grandparents to my prayer list!