Sunday, August 30, 2009

Smocking 201.

After success with the smocked geometric designs, I decided to tackle picture smocking with the go ahead from my patient teacher who thinks I am doing great for a beginner! It took me a while and several trips for some help getting started with reading the patterns, making the stitches go the way they needed to go, and then finally learning to turn the garment upside down to do the cable stitches on top of each other. Then just as I thought I was finished, the pleats were popping out of line after the guidelines were taken out and I was told I then needed to do this thing called backsmock to keep the pleats in line. I thought backsmocking was certainly something that I would never be able to do. Thankfully, all it meant was do a few rows of cable stitches on the back of the insert! After 5 rows of backsmocking, at last, it was completed! The dinosaurs are not perfect---but I am getting there!!













Anderson wore it to church a few weeks ago and after the service we were invited to lunch by a fellow church member to one of the clubs around. VERY nice invitation, but my plan was to get him home and out of the outfit before eating lunch! I was paranoid the entire time that he was going to get something on it and it was going to be stained/ruined! That did not happen, but I sure was sweating it!

post signature

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Very nice....how do you find the time to be such a great mommy, wife, employee and be so creative and complete projects. I'm usually struggling to keep up with the laundry, dishes, and picking up daily messes.

Since you have the mommy, household duties, working, and creative projects thing under control - care to share your do-it all secrets???

Amy Jones said...

I think it looks great, and the person in it is even better! When you become a master, I want to be your first pupil!

Katy said...

Awesome!! He looks great in green by the way... You can keep the turtles as long as you need since i have used it for both kids already... I may borrow the fishing lures in a couple of months if you are done with it by then...
If I get to Bluffton this week I will call you;)

Brad said...

Nice Job! You are the BEST mom and wife in the world! Love you!

MatersandMelons said...

Good job smocking, Jennifer! And I could just eat Anderson with a spoon. Really.

Lillian Thomas said...

I'm going to completely diddo Kelly on her comment. I feel like I have accomplished nothing in the past few weeks! How do you find the time?! :) By the way, Anderson's outfit is adorable, Great Job!