Friday, September 18, 2009

Better than a Swimming Pool!

The salt pan is one of the many treasures you get to experience living in this area. Good ones that do not have oyster shells, don't have a lot of pluff mud (I don't hate on pluff mud--it is another treasure for sure!), and have some large sandy areas can be tricky to come by...fortunate for us we have a perfect one to play in! On days when we don't have much to do and the tide is high, we have fun in our own backyard. I load Anderson in his stroller, the bike trailer, or his Kettrike and we make the 30 second walk/ride to the salt pan and I and let him go to town! There is so much for him to explore, touch, and feel---as well as put in his mouth, which I try to discourage, but a little salt water or marsh grass isn't going to hurt anyone! We have played out there from the time the tide was coming in until the tide was rolling out and we are left with just puddles! When the masses of fiddler crabs start making their appearance is when I call it quits. Small crustaceans, in mass quantities, in one place kinda freaks me out---but I can appreciate from the wooden boardwalk with no problems. I can remember loving swimming in the salt pans as a child and lucky for me, one of my childhood friends had a salt pan in her parent's backyard that we could swim in at high tide...it was always so much more exciting than a swimming pool!


How I love the salt pan!


Did I mention I love this??!!


oooh, a treasure...

not quite as tasty as I thought!

post signature

1 comment:

Kelly said...

He's a B.R.A.T.
:-)

a Boy Raised Around the Tides!

Too cute - such a special way for him to explore and play with textures! Good for you for giving him that experience!